Monday, February 16, 2009

Inspiration or How the Muse Moves Me


Although I've always loved music, I've never always loved concerts. My uninformed take was "just turn their album up loud and it's the same thing". Then I went to my first rock concert. James took me to a Tori Amos concert long ago, and it was great, but nothing like the Rob Zombie concert I went to with him. I soon started going to concerts with him and a friend of ours regularly, and I can tell you that there is nothing like live music. Real live music, not the pre recorded lip sync stuff. Music is like water to me, it has seeped into every corner, it has found its way into every part of my personality. There have been times that I have gotten a point across better with a song than with words. Music definitely is a part of my creative process.


Have you seen the commercial where a woman walks past a shop window, sees a brooch, and is inspired to go home and make nachos? I have had a couple of moments like that, where I see something and I get an image of a finished necklace based on what I see. Sometimes scent will help an idea along, sometimes a TV show, sometimes a friend's favorite color. I have found that inspiration finds me, and not the other way around. I think I may try an experiment. One day, I will go somewhere, maybe a museum, and search inspiration out for myself instead of letting it come to me. In the meantime, the surest way to get my muse to show is with music.


Listening To: Pink Floyd - Learning To Fly, A Momentary Lapse of Reason

No comments: