Saturday, October 11, 2008

...My Favorite Things


I've seen sidebars on blogs about things folks are doing, like what I'm reading, what I'm watching on television, what funny thing my kid said today, etc. Once I get blogging under my belt a bit more, I'm sure I will find a way to have my own sidebar with all of my favorite what am I doing now snippets, but in the meantime I'm going to chat about them here.


Music is such a big part of my creative process. In fact, it's such a big part of me as a whole. I listen to most everything, shying away from country music. Cowboy Junkies are the closest I get to country, and they aren't really country at all. Sometimes I pick the music to design to, sometimes the music picks the design. I'll chat in a later post about my design style, but my jewelry and music are certainly entwined.


Movies are something that my husband and I can always default to for some together time. The big three categories for the both of us are sci-fi/fantasy, action, and comedy. I watch most of the movies he watches, but I do like drama, romance, and musicals as well. I am a very emotional person, and tissue companies are glad for it. I've gotten a lot of great ideas for my work from movies and tv, and watery eyes to boot. ;)


I would like to say here that I am an avid reader, but I cannot. I used to read, on the train to work and back home again, and I loved that time to myself. Since I had a baby, though, time to read has been cut down to instructions on the macaroni and cheese box. I was convinced that once I turned 40 I would become illiterate because if you don't use a skill you lose it. I just turned 40, so we will see at what grade level I can read.


Crafters usually don't stick with one craft, and I'm certainly not one to go against the grain, much. I do sew, and I love sewing. I wouldn't call myself a seamstress but I can make clothes well enough and love costumes. I've also found that costumers are procrastinators, I don't know if that has to do with not wanting to change your mind in the middle of a project or if we are just procrastinators, but I've been known to sew buttons on while travelling to the destination of the place I'm going to wear said garment. I am also trying to teach myself crochet and gardening, took a class in cake decorating, and sometimes try and get creative with cooking. Jewelry, though, is where I seem to be able to make my mark.


So that's me - for now anyway ;)


No comments: